- To bring together all person interested in classical guitar for providing a form for networking, interaction and exchange of ideas and thoughts.
- To promote the teaching, learning, training and listenership of classical guitar.
- To constitute an organization for teachers, students and lovers of classical guitar with a view to promote, protect and safeguard their interest in all matters pertaining to collective well-being of the members as a class.
- To take steps for diffusion of knowledge and dissemination of education with regard to classical guitar by holding national and international contests, festivals etc. and by inviting national and international level western classical guitarists to perform and hold workshops and master classes.
- To provide for a common form for students, teachers and lovers of classical guitar for working for establishing and maintaining contact amongst them to encourage mutual understanding and social contact.
- To indicate, foster and promote a spirit of co-operation, friendship, comradeship, fellowship and brotherhood among the students, teachers and lovers of classical guitar by way of all available means including organizing social and cultural get-togethers.
- To promote and maintain the honour, prestige, decorum, dignity and integrity of students, teachers and lovers of classical guitar and to ensure that they are held in high esteem.
- To function as an agency for undertaking and promoting study, research and dissemination of knowledge regarding classical guitar and other allied subjects.
- To publish magazines, periodicals, bulletins, thesis, pamphlets, books of reference and commentaries and to establish and maintain a library and reading room with emphasis on the subject of classical guitar.
- To organize and participate in workshops, master classes, conferences, seminars, symposiums, debates, discourses, festivals, competitions and allied events to enrich the playing and listenership of classical guitar.
- To put forward suggestions before the authorities and to act as an interest promotion group for promoting classical guitar.
- To collect and preserve manuscripts, music scores, works of art, paintings, sculptures and antiquities, with regards to classical guitar.
- To act as a forum for aggregating students, teachers, lovers and listeners of classical guitar across the world and to establish, nurture, foster, cultivate and develop relationship between the CCGS and other societies of music across the world.
- To collaborate with such organizations, institutions, bodies and societies in India and abroad including relevant international agencies interested in similar objectives and to cooperate with such institutions, bodies and organizations for furthering the objectives and purposes of CCGS.
To become a leading promoter and supporter of classical guitar music and other forms and genres of music at par with similar organizations in the world.
To create a friendly, non-partisan platform where classical guitarists, other musicians and lovers of music can come together for regular concerts, training and master classes, workshops and seminars and interact for popularization of classical guitar and other forms of music and their live performance in concert halls and other venues. To create new music by supporting and encouraging collaboration between musicians and music forms from different cultures of the world.
The Calcutta Classical Guitar Society was formed in 2009 with a vision to become a leading promoter and supporter of music, in particular classical guitar music.
Over the years, CCGS’s activities have covered a vast spectrum of music and musician related events aimed at bringing international maestros to India, providing a non-partisan performance platform for established as well as upcoming Indian musicians and creating opportunities for learning and showcasing of talent by students. The Society aspires to make music a catalyst of human bonding and community building and provide a viable vocation for musicians.
From 2010, CCGS has been host to the Calcutta International Classical Guitar Festival & Competition, the only classical guitar festival in India and the largest guitar event of its kind in Asia!
Calcutta Classical Guitar Society is a non-profit cultural organisation and registered under the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, to whom donations are exempt under Section 80-G of the Income Tax Act.